Sunday, June 03, 2012

The Wall of Death



A motor drome is basically a giant barrel where motorcycle ride on the interior wall and do tricks and what-not. They travel with carnivals. 

Naturally, as a young boy I loved motor dromes. One year, when I was in high school, my brother and I saw an add in the paper for temporary workers to help set up rides in the Midway. There was a chance you could then get hired to work on the ride for the fair's 2 week run. 

We went down to apply and were thrilled to get hired on to the motor drome.

We worked on putting up the stage. Our work involved hauling around enormously heavy wooden boxes filled with lights while a hung-over biker screamed at us nonstop. As well as learning some new cuss words, we also learned that the romance of carnivals wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

At the lunch break, after the stage was up, we both got fired. I can honestly say it was one of the happiest moments of my life.
  

No comments: