Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Uncooperative computer signs


I was in a park in Hong Kong once, when a young Chinese guy in a suit rushed up to me and asked me to proof read what he had written. It was the English instructions for assembling some gizmo. I thought he was pretty clever to double-check his work in that manner, but then again, half drunk sailors lolling about in parks might explain why some Chinese instructions verge on being gibberish.

At any rate, for the billboard above a Chinese (or Japanese) fellow obviously ran his translation through a computer. Sadly for him the translation server had crashed and the message wasn't translated as faithfully as he hoped.

The picture above, and the few that follow are from Carrie & Danielle's post 12 Digital Billboard Fails. I swiped four of them, you can see the rest along with their comments at the link.

By the way, in what was a first for me, this post was suggested by a reader, Andrea Smart. So Andrea, you get my first real hat tip and thanks for the suggestion (you can also email me at ambisinistral at gmail dot com if you don't want to use the 'contact me' form on the blog in the future).


Local station New 15 probably thought streaming a Twitter feed would bring them into the social media age and impress the youngsters. It did, and with what were completely hilarious results. If anybody sees those three, call you local sheriff.


Sony developed its own OS for their phones, so -- even though it was an error -- seeming to sell them by displaying a glitched looking Windows 2000 screen may not have been the brightest marketing moves of all times. You've got to have fail over protection on public displays like this.


Above is another thing that can go wrong -- hooligan h4x0rs. I wonder if the sign folks changed their password or left the default one in place? 
  

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I had to pass this on - just thought it was hilarious!

ambisinistral said...

I like the Twitter billboard the most. What were they thinking when they came up with that idea?